Role and Responsibilities
The role of drill & blast engineer is to provide technical leadership and oversight in all areas of activity with regards to the drilling and blasting function within the Drilling and Blasting department.
The drill & blast engineer must possess advanced expertise and experience in all functions of drill & blast, including planning, design, wall control, and various types of explosives.
The drill & blast engineer is responsible for the performances of the drill & blast engineering team, as well as the blasting performances related to designs.
This job requires the individual to concentrate on the job at hand and complete it efficiently and effectively without any accidents so diligence and hardworking are desired attributes for individuals performing this role. He must also demonstrate strong work ethics, an ability to communicate courteously with the team/coworkers and must possess good leadership qualities.
Qualifications and other requirements
- University degree in mining engineering or equivalent work related degree.
- Eligible for registration as a professional engineer.
- 5-8 years of related experience in drill & blast engineering.
- Explosives related health and safety background
- Effective leadership skills and a personal commitment in delivering results.
- Ability to motivate and develop junior staff.
- A high level of interpersonal skills and strong ability to communicate effectively and to build positive relationships.
- knowledge of MS office
- Provide technical stewardship on all areas of activity within the drill & blast engineering function, as well as provide technical support to the drill & blast operations team.
- Provide leadership to the Drill & Blast team and manage the professional technical development of key talent within the department.
- In line with objectives as set forth by the senior leadership team in engineering, provide clear work objectives and expectations to the drill & blast team of the performance levels required to achieve business plans and production goals.
- Ensure the necessary manpower and equipment are in place to achieve planned production, while meeting planned costs.
- Manage performance by setting expectations, conducting performance reviews, and providing feedback and coaching to team/coworkers.
- Ensure that training is provided according to the current and future requirements of the mine.
- Cultivate and maintain a high performance culture.
- Oversee consultants and contractors on engineering projects.
- Develop the knowledge and skill set in the team.
- Review and/or implement the high standards of health & safety practices related to explosives and drill & blast engineering.
- Proper planning of Drill and Blasting and scheduling in accordance to the plan
- Provide technical advice by identifying opportunities for improving productivity and reducing cost.
- Preparing, verifying and approving drill and blast plans
- Developing standard of practice to improve drill and blast activities.
- Ensure designs and applications comply with regulatory and company policies and procedures.
- Recommend new and innovative products, techniques and processes to maximize the value of the operation.
- Follow procedures laid by MOI for blasting